The course is being offered as per NEP 2020 of the University of Delhi guidelines since 2022- 2023. The course is undertaken by the Department of Food and Nutrition and Food Technology which is the largest department of the college. Food Technology is one of the important fields because it has the capability to provide processed, safe, and nutritious food. Food industry plays an important role in growth and development sector. The course offers educational tours, seminars and industrial training. The characteristic features of the curriculum under National Education Policy (NEP)-2020 is flexibility to the student in terms of choice of subjects, multiple entry and exit points, multi-disciplinary education by choosing major and minor subjects and the provision of multilingualism permitting students to gain proficiency in various languages. The Food Technology course which comprises of 6 semesters, divided into Discipline Specific Core course, Discipline Specific Elective courses (DSE), Skill Enhancement Elective Courses (SEC) and Generic Elective (GE) Courses. Each year consists of 2 semesters. This course has been prepared keeping in view, the unique requirements of B.Sc. (Hons.) Food Technology students.
B.Sc. (Hons.) Food Technology offers its students an opportunity to gain the requisite knowledge, skills and aptitude for food technology. The key objectives of the course are to impart knowledge in areas related to Food Science and Technology; enable the students to understand the food composition along with its Physio-chemical, nutritional, microbiological and sensory aspects; acquaint the students with the technologies of food processing and preservation of plant and animal foods; cereals, pulses, oilseeds, fruits vegetables, spices, meat, fish, poultry, seafood, milk and dairy products; stress on the importance of food safety and quality management, national and international food laws and regulations as well as the importance of food engineering and packaging in the food industry. This course opens the door to a range of career paths including developing new food products, improving sensory attributes and nutritional content of foods, and finding new ways to preserve, process, package and distribute food. Students have excellent job opportunities in government and private sector, industries and in multinational companies.
*Candidates must appear in CUET in any of the following subject combinations:
Combination I: Physics + Chemistry + Biology/BiologicalStudies/Biotechnology/Biochemistry OR
Combination II:: Physics + Chemistry + Biology/BiologicalStudies/Biotechnology/Biochemistry
*Merit will be based on the best CUET score obtained from any of the above-mentioned combinations of subjects.
Candidates must have obtained a minimum of 30% score in any one language of List A in CUET (Source: Page Number 16, Under-graduate Admission under Bulletin of Information 13.02.2023-DU-UG-BOI 2023.pdf)
(Source: Page Number 53, Under-graduate Admission under Bulletin of Information 13.02.2023-DU-UG-BOI 2023.pdf)
The learning outcomes of the course are as follows:
• Knowledge of various areas related to food science and technology.
• Understanding of the food composition and its physico-chemical, nutritional, microbiological and sensory aspects.
• Comprehend the structure and composition of various plants and animal foods.
• Knowledge about how processing and preservation techniques of pulses, oilseeds, spices, fruits and vegetables, meat, fish, poultry, milk & milk products can be done.
• Relevance and significance of food safety, food quality, food plant sanitation, food laws and regulations, food engineering and packaging in food industry
• Justify scientifically the changes occurring in food during processing, handling and Storage. Describe enzymatic and non-enzymatic browning reactions in various foods.
• Describe harmful effects of adulteration on health and will be able to detect presence of common adulterants in food.
For more details, the candidates may refer to syllabus (UGCF, 2022) available on the website of University of Delhi at: (https://www.du.ac.in/uploads/new-web/20012023_Science.pdf)