The course is being offered as per NEP 2020 of the University of Delhi (https://www.dr.du.ac.in/files/UGCF-2022.pdf) guidelines since 2022-23. The new structure creates an undergraduate teaching-learning framework that entices young individuals to explore research, innovation, apprenticeship, social outreach, entrepreneurship, and other areas of human knowledge and endeavors. This framework fosters an intellectually stimulating academic environment within the university and its constituent colleges. The main objectives of NEP include promoting holistic development, providing flexibility in learning paths, eliminating disciplinary hierarchies and silos, and fostering multidisciplinary and holistic education. It aims to cultivate creativity, critical thinking, and ethical values, while also emphasizing multilingualism, life skills development, and the incorporation of the Indian Knowledge System relevant to specific disciplines.
Microbiology is an essential course for advancing the knowledge of the microbial world, addressing global health challenges, promoting sustainable practices, and driving innovation in various sectors. It has far-reaching implications for human health, agriculture, industry, and environmental conservation. The expertise of a microbiologist is essential for infectious disease control, drug development, food quality assurance, environmental monitoring, and research advancements. With the expanding applications of microbiology in various sectors, the demand for a professional with microbiology as a specialization is expected to continue growing.
The highly esteemed B.Sc. (Hons) Microbiology course attracts top-performing students nationwide. The Institute of Home Economics, affiliated with the University of Delhi, is one of the six colleges offering this program. The comprehensive curriculum comprises theoretical knowledge and intensive practical work, providing students with a well-rounded understanding of Microbiology and Biotechnology. Under the NEP program from 2022-23, students have gained significant flexibility. Exiting after the first year earns them an Undergraduate Certificate in Microbiology, after the second year an Undergraduate Diploma, after the third year a Bachelor of Science (Honours) degree in Microbiology, and upon completion of 176 credits in the fourth year, a Bachelor of Science (Honours with Research/Academic Project/Entrepreneurship) degree in Microbiology.
Our alumni have achieved remarkable success by pursuing higher education at prestigious institutions and securing promising job placements. This accomplishment can be attributed to the highly qualified and experienced faculty in the Microbiology department, who come from diverse fields within the discipline. The teaching methodology incorporates lectures, practical, group projects, and interaction with eminent scientists and professionals. The Department emphasizes independent research projects, industrial/lab visits, and extensive written and practice-based assignments/review articles/posters by the students, moulding them as independent researchers.
The college has a well-equipped microbiology lab offering a controlled environment with specialized tools and equipment for enhancing practical skills. It provides the necessary infrastructure and resources for conducting experiments and facilitates research on a diverse array of topics. Furthermore, several conferences/lecturers/seminars/trainings are being organized in the department for the overall growth of the students.
Candidates must appear in CUET in the following subject combination:
Physics + Chemistry + Biology/Biological Studies/Biotechnology/Biochemistry
Merit will be based on the CUET scores obtained from the above-mentioned combination of subjects.
Candidates must have obtained a minimum of 30% score in any one language of List A in CUET.
1. The Learning Outcome-based approach to curriculum planning for the B.Sc. (Honours) degree in Microbiology is designed to afford a skeletal structure within which the programme can be developed to suit the need of the hour, in keeping with the emergence of new areas of Microbiology. The framework is architected to allow for flexibility in programme design and course content development, while at the same time maintaining a basic uniformity in structure in comparison with other universities across the country. The B.Sc. (Honours) Microbiology programme covers a wide range of basic and applied microbiology courses as well as courses of interdisciplinary nature. It also emphasizes laboratory proficiency, quantitative analysis, and effective communication. Graduates of the program will be well-equipped for careers in research, public health, scientific writing, environmental organizations, and industries related to food, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology. The core courses that are a part of the programme are designed to build a strong Microbiology knowledge base in the student, and furthermore, acquaints the students with the applied aspects of this fascinating discipline as well. The student is thus equipped to pursue higher studies in an institution of her/his choice and to apply the skills learned in the programme to solving practical societal problems. The programme offers a wide range of elective ( discipline specific & generic elective) courses to the student. This also include Value Addition Course , Ability Enhancement Course & skill enhancement courses that prepare the student for an eventual job in academia or industry.
Some of the characteristic attributes of an Honors graduate in Microbiology include:
• Knowledge acquisition: gathers in-depth knowledge of basic and applied areas of microbiology.
• Core microbiology laboratory skills: understands various methods of safe handling, culturing and storage of microorganisms in the laboratory.
• Interdisciplinary approach: becomes aware of the role of microbiology in interdisciplinary research as well as in daily life.
• Environmental literacy: develops a basic understanding of the microbiological principles that that have environmental implications, and gains an awareness of regulatory requirements and their compliance in biotechnology and microbiological research.
• Scientific logic: develops scientific logic and approaches a problem with critical reasoning.
• Independence in thought: cultivates independent thinking and is able to integrate knowledge from other disciplines and fit that knowledge into the context of microbiology.
• Team work: understands the importance and strengths of interacting with and working alongside people from diverse backgrounds.
• Global perspective: becomes acquainted with standard international practices and emerging technologies used to study microbes.
• Communication skills: develops effective communication skills through oral presentations of ongoing developments in the field and the compiling of information in the form of reports.
• Ethics: acquires an awareness of work ethics and ethical issues in scientific research as well as plagiarism policies.
• Self-motivation: develops self-discipline, planning and organization skills, and time management skills.
For more details, the candidates may refer to syllabus (UGCF, 2022) available on the website of University of Delhi at: https://www.du.ac.in/index.php?page=nep-ugcf-2022-syllabihttps://www.du.ac.in/uploads/UGCF- Faculty%20of%20Interdisciplinary%20&%20Applied%20Sciences.pdf (18-42) https://www.du.ac.in/uploads/new-web/notifications-2021/28032023_nep- Faculty%20of%20Interdisciplinary%20&%20Applied%20Sciences.pdf (46-74) https://www.du.ac.in/uploads/new-web/21062023_nep-84_notification_IDAS.pdf (26-93)